Monday, June 1, 2009

Up and Running!

Last week I finally broke down and called Comcast. I need to be online full time. Now, those of you that know me KNOW I loathe Comcast for every reason I can come up with. I won't elaborate because it's just negative! After giving AT&T a failing shot I decided I'd splurge on the luxuries that no unemployed person deserves. I got high speed internet and digital cable with DVR. I have come to LOVE the DVR over the past three years! I can set any show to record and watch it anytime I please. That's great since I am not a big TV watcher. Instead of watching TV I spend most of my time browsing the world wide web. I'm looking for a job which is practically impossible these days without being online. I'd say I've applied for dozens of jobs over the past three months. Most of the time I feel like I'm just reappling for positions that I'm overqualified for. IMHO I think employers have the unemployed by the balls. They have a position, a hundered people probably want it, therefore they can offer whatever lame salary they want and the most desperate will claw eachother's eyes out for it. Not a pretty place to be because if I don't get an extension on my unemployment I'll be sitting in Hart Plaza asking suburbanites if I can have a quater to buy my cat some nip. It could be worse, right? I whole-heartedly believe that. I just have to remember that I can't control everything, even though I try, and that I have to leave some things to the powers that be. I don't think it's my destiny to live in a cardboard box. So, rather that start packing, I've decided to be proactive and take my degree further and sign up for the MSW licensure exam. I think it's bull because I already have a 50k degree that says I know what I need to know to be a social worker. "They" just need to beat the sense out of me to prove it, I suppose. Every interview I had been on ended with "Oh, we're looking to hire someone with their license." Soon, my interviews started with "I only have my limited license. Is that a problem?" Yes, apparently it is. Blah. I'm no longer going to let it get me down. I have an appointment on Wednesday to take the practice exam. Depending on how well I do, I'll know how close I am to the real deal. I bought the "best" study guide out there last summer. I guess it's time to dust it off and crack the binding? I concede.

Anywhoo ... Monday Motivation? Yes. I guess being unemployed for six months is enough to realize I need to be more proactive if I'll ever find another job. Given the economic status in Michigan apparently a Master's Degree isant enough.

In my spare time *snicker* I've been spending time with friends. I need them for support and the ocassional pick-me-up. Because, I'll admit, being unemployed can get depressing. Especially when everyone is off at work and I'm sitting here pondering the importance of existence. over the weekend i had a friend point out to me that I have all the time in the world to do whatever is most important to me. Why, I think he's right! I need to make physical fitness my job. I've got at least eight hours in a day that I can devote to eating right and working out. I have NO excuse since I have two gym memberships AND a gym in my building! That makes me LAZY! I always say I "hate" lazy people. What the hell is wrong with me?? Blah! I have work to do. I'm on a 10 Pound Challenge which will go through mid-June and since today is June 1 I better get busy! I'm going to track my progress DAILY. It's embarassing but I have to do it. If you're a regular on my blog (Lisa~ that means you. You're the only one I know that actually still reads this!!) please give me a boost or as we say on c(dot)com, a kick in the ass. Please and Thank You!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Yay! A real blog entry! I'm right there with you on the working out thing, lets kick each other in the ass every day! I'll nag you and you nag me..I'm afraid to get on a scale though!

Now get your ass off the computer and go work out! And don't even think about logging back on until you've done at least 40 minutes! *cracks whip*

stacey said...

You better get to the gym. Damn, just think how much hotter you would be after spending a few hours in the gym!! :) Then you can apply for jobs, and THEN play on the web. LOL

Lisa said...

So how you doing on the working out?