Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Debate.

I'm not going to dwell on the outcome of the Presidential Debate between Presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McPain. All you need to do if you want that type of information is check the headline on any major new source. I do want to mention how I spent my time watching the debate. It's pretty funny in an embarrassing way. I made an attempt to rally some friends together to watch the debate with enjoying some spirits, snacks and chit-chat. I was surprised at the number of people that RSVP'd but it was to say they had prior commitments. No biggie. A few people responded with a "definite maybe" or "yes" that it was enough for me to have to clean up. Beverly would be the first to arrive. As I hurriedly scurried down to let her into the building I decided I'd take the dog with me because Bailey loves to gallup down the hall to the great outdoors. I hadn't eaten any dinner so I figured I'd suggest Bev, Bailey and I sit within the outdoor seating area at Oslo and have some sushi and libations while we wait for Amy and Amed to arrive. Oslo is an awesome little Thia/sushi/bar on the main floor of the building that I live in (there is also a night club in the basement- quite an interesting combination but that's a whole separate post!) Since it's in our building Jane and I go there quite frequently. They always welcome Bailey to accompany us in the outdoor area and the staff and owners fawn over her timid sweetness. Beverly lit up with excitement when she saw Bailey and I round the corner toward the front door. We greeted each other outside the front door and Bev thought Oslo was a great idea. Cool. We're all set! No sooner did the door click behind me when I realized that among the phone, cigarettes, lighter, lip gloss and debit card stuffed into my pockets and leash wrapped around my wrist that I didn't bring my KEYS! Oh, noooooooooo. I could hardly believe that for the first time in my 35 years I had finally locked myself out of my own house! Well, Bev just chuckled and took it in stride as I explored the options I had for spending my first night sleeping on the streets. We decided to continue with the plan and sit down at Oslo while I figure out how to get back into the loft before all of the guests arrived. The only way to get in without making an emergency call and pay $25 to get back in was to find Jane and beg her to come home and save Bailey and I before we had no other choice than to drink until sleeping in a store-front wasn't such a bad idea! After several attempts to contact Jane by text and voice mail it was already 9pm. The debate was on. Amy called to say that she and Amed were on their way. I notified her of the situation and she didn't seem the least bit swayed. Awesome! If nothing else, we'd all have a good time. By 9:30 Amy and Amed arrived and took up residence at the table beside Bev, Bailey and I. Still no Jane. We had all decided that we'd have to catch the debate in repeat or at least the highlights on YouTube. Well, I've actually forgot the purpose of this post. I guess it's just to say that we all ended up laughing, eating and had a great time. When Jane finally showed up we all went up and watched the post debate commentary on a few news channels while exchanging commentary of our own about the hosts and commentators. Not necessarrily forcusing on what they were saying but how much they were paid by McCain to say such positive things about him. Heh. I guess the purpose of this post is to reflect back on my "Debate Gathering" while I listen to a rerun of the actual debate on C-SPAN. Quiet a few issues stir my mind but what I mostly hear is McCain and his "Blah, blah, blah, big money, big spender, big heart-attack-waiting-to-happen." God help us. Vote for Obama!!

No comments: