Monday, July 27, 2009

Deep, Dark Secrets.

I never intended on airing my dirty laundry online but in having a blog I realize I'm revealing more than enough every time I post. Without getting into too many details I need to vent my frustration occasionally but for the most part I try to keep this informative and entertaining with the mundane details about my goings on. I have become aware that I may have offended some with my "funemployment" comments over the past few weeks. I am sorry if I offended you. Here's my side of the story. Try being unemployed for 8 months. It's not easy OR fun. But life is what you make of it, right? I was severely depressed this past winter and hated everything about my life. So much so that I sought medical help for it. I decided I wasn't going to be like that anymore. I can't be miserable. It's not my fault I don't have a job and I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I don't deserve to. I don't think everybody understand that there are NO jobs in MI unless they live here. I have applied for everything. Everything. No one is calling me back. I can't make someone give me a job. If you don't live in MI you can't understand. The auto industry is crumbling. Remember four years ago, Hurricane Katrina? New Orleans was in shambles. There were no jobs to be had even for the people that stayed and wanted to make a living. It has taken 4 years for them to get somewhat back on track and there is STILL a lifetime of things that will never be the same. MI is in that position right now. Except no hurricane to blame. If there were a natural disaster would people understand then??? Would they feel more sorry than angry at me? I don't think people are aware of the magnitude of the crisis MI is in. Detroit surpassed New Orleans in decline in population the year after Hurricane Katrina and that speaks volumes to the suffering this city sees. Ever heard the saying "Last one out of Detroit turn off the lights"?

Someone left an anonymous reply on my blog saying, "That voting for Obama thing is working out pretty well for you." and a link to a video with a headline that read that Obama was going to pay her mortgage and car payment. I didn't even watch it. I saw all that I need to see. It wasn't pleasant and that's all I needed to know. I was offended and hurt by that. I don't know who sent it because my blog is public. But it doesn't even matter who sent it. I have worked since I was 15 years old. I have paid into the Michigan Unemployment Insurance fund for the past 21 years. I am using it now! It's like car insurance. You pay your premium to cover everyone else's accidents (even those that drive around in uninsured vehicles) and if you don't have an accident you don't use it. Doesn't mean I'm going to purposely run into a tree but shit happens! I don't deserve to be berated because I need to use something that is rightfully mine. Yes, Lottie REALLY wants me to come to Savannah. My plane ticket is almost FREE and I am working how ever I can to afford it. My unemployment BARELY pays for my bills. Everything else is because I've sacrificed and cut corners everywhere I can. My bills are paid. There is nothing else that I can give up. I'm living the simplest life I have lived since childhood. I worked hard for everything I have and I'm not about to give up simply LIVING. I'm responsible and I pay for what I have with what I deserve as a worker and tax payer and contributor to society. As a social worker I have seen how life is on both sides of the spectrum. I will never stoop as low as some people will out of laziness. If I wanted to purposely live off of the government I would have had a kid and sat on my ass with my hand held out! I am blessed with very good friends, that support me, and care about my well-being and I thank God for that every night when I go to sleep and every day when I wake up. I have never taken advantage of that or taken it for granted. Should I put my nose up to them and act like I'm too good or not worthy enough because I'm worried that people will resent me? No. I'm not going to do that! As Jon BonJovi said: It's my life and it's now or never. I'm not gonna live forever. I just wanna live while I'm alive.

2 comments:

ElizaHennessey said...

I was wondering how long you had been out. I feel every moment of your pain! Tim has been out of work for a year come Aug 15, and has faced the same thing, millions of resume's sent out and not one call back. You are not alone, although that may not make you feel any better!

As for your cowardly and anonymous "Obama" commenter... this didn't start the day he came into office, it has been a LONG time in the making. You can mainly thank another "President" for this one. Yeah, that's right, I said it, this isn't President Obama's fault. Asswipe. Now leave Jackie alone and go on back to your cave.

BEST wishes to you! That diploma is not worth nothing, I can assure you. E.

boneramafreak said...

Yup...it ain't his fault. Someone else caused the pain first. Sure people can say but it is the Dems in power now and were for the last 2 years of GB's presidency....but ya know what? Thinks started going south WAAAY before that. And to post it without any name? Sad and pathetic. Most people who do that on blogs are, can dish it but can't take it.

I know your position well Jackie, I really do. I say take the trip if you can. If friends are willing to help you out? and they want to see you? and help you forget your woes for awhile, then do it. :)