Monday, September 1, 2008

Where do I start???

I was lucky enough to have a FOUR day weekend and I couldn't have had more fun! Goodness...lets start with Friday...nothing much happened that day. I spent the entire day in the house doing nothing. Everyone needs a day like that! I can't even remember what I did Friday night...hhhhMMMmmmm...Ohhhhhh, yeah, the Detroit International Jazz festival kicked off on Friday night. After trying to meet up with some friends that we could not find to save ourselves we walked down to the riverfront to check out what was going on. They wouldn't let us go into Hart Plaza because we had the dog with us. Losers! So, after I got a call from my co-worker we went down to the Police base and joined them for a little impromptu cook out. It was nice and relaxing even though it felt like a million degrees outside! I got home pretty early because I wanted to re-energize for the following day when BONERAMA would make their Detroit debut at the Fest!!! The show was AWESOME!!

Later, some of us hung out for the duration.


The fun continued on Sunday when I found out one of my oldest friends (since 6th grade!)Lottie was in town! :) We met up with Bev and Steve and continued my busy weekend! Downtown Detroit was PACKED because of the Jazz Fest, Tigers game, Grand Prix and Obama coming in the morning.

THEN, Barack Obama made an early afternoon visit to Detroit to speak to an awesome crowd of Supporters! On this Labor Day he was focused on the Union/Teamsters. Everyone knows that the American Automotive Industry has suffered a huge blow in recent years causing high unemployment rates in the Motorcity and Michigan primarily because of the shitty economy causing many factories and suppliers to close their doors. We couldn't get anywhere CLOSE to the actual platform he was speaking from but they did set up big screens for the huge crowd to watch the speech. It was a patriotic way to spend Labor Day in Detroit. :) It's nice to see a city come together for a candidate we believe in.

Jane and I finished off the day by going to the Ren Cen and seeing the movie Tropic Thunder. This movie is definitely a film that appeals to men that like war/combat/shoot-em-up movies. :/ There were some funny parts and wasn't a complete waste of time but I do not recommend it very highly...
On the way to the People Mover we FINALLY stopped to take a picture outside the YMCA across the street. Ever since we moved into our loft downtown we've said we need to take a picture with this fun statue! :)

The week ended when we took Bailey for a walk. Doesn't she look VICIOUS?!? heeheeeeeee... :)

1 comment:

Adam Hansen said...

I had such a good time and the city was so alive, it makes me want to live in Detroit. Toledo could learn a thing or two about an alive downtown from our neighbor up north.